PerthCraft

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PerthCraft
PerthCraft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions about the server.

3 posters

Go down

Questions about the server. Empty Questions about the server.

Post  Zoskie Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:51 am

I'm a little curious about how a server works if anyone has the time could she/he please answer my question?

1. Is a server leggy because if YOUR Internet connection or is it another problem altogether?

2. How do plugins work?

3. Do plugins help the lag?

4. How can you get less lag?

5. How does lag effect other people?

Thank you for reading this and answering my questions! Have a wonderful day!

Zoskie
Perthcraftian
Perthcraftian

Back to top Go down

Questions about the server. Empty Re: Questions about the server.

Post  Frodomann1 Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 am

Well all your questions are basically about the same thing, but I will do my best.

1. This depends on the type of lag your getting, block lag (destroying blocks and having them reappear) is usually server side lag, but can be caused just as often from your own internet. The best way to test this is to go on another server and see if you lag there. Of course there is also FPS lag, which can be fixed pretty simply if you have an OK computer. (I cover this in question 4.)

2. Plugins are basically server side mods (modifications). They alter the game using java to include features. Usually plugins aren't that complex because of the limiting factor that the server can only put out what the client and understand. For this reason plugins can't add new blocks or items to the game. Some servers (Spoutcraft, Spigot, ect.) are heavily modded and use special clients that allow mods to be installed to your computer from the server. These servers tend to be more RPG/Tekkit based but there are some simple survival/pvp servers that run Spout. Moving on!

3. Generally plugins do NOT help lag. They use the precious ram that the server needs to keep all the blocks and players running correctly. The more plugins, the more memory usage, the more lag. This is why many server owners decide not to go all out on plugins with things like dynamic map, hunger games, CTF, spleef, bomberman, and all the other cool plugins that are offered. However! There are plugins that are designed to help lag. They don't do an extraordinary job, but it is noticeable. Plugins such as NoLag or Preformance Tweaks limit mob spawning, server view distance, chunk loading, and the length of time a chunk stays loaded after someone leaves it. Next question!

4. There are many ways to counter lag. FPS lag can be easily fixed with the installation of Optifine.( http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-151-optifine-hd-b1-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/ ) Not all of them are up to date yet, but they will be soon. Find the version that best suits your computer (generally "light" or "multicore", and install it and play with the settings. Your bound to increase your FPS by quite a bit. Now we come to the more annoying factor of server side/client side lag. This isn't really fixable other than a few basic tweaks. Try closing all programs that are using internet, if that doesn't help, restart your router and your computer. If that still doesn't help, it's either your internet or the server. Sorry but there is little to be done about that. (wow I'm blazing through these!)

5. Not quite sure what you mean by this, but I assume you mean, does lag affect other people, and how does it affect my in-game relationship with their characters. This is pretty simple, if your lagging, you will always be a few seconds behind where you think you are on the server. Say you broke a block and moved forward, they wouldn't see you break that block until a few seconds afterward. Same goes to if they are lagging. Lag can also make PvP a little annoying, best to avoid conflict if you lag, because you will almost certainly loose.

I hope this helped and I wish you luck with your lag issues! I know how annoying they can be. If anyone has anymore questions I'll be glad to try and help out!

Last edited by Frodomann1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frodomann1
Frodomann1
Perthcraftian
Perthcraftian

Back to top Go down

Post  Zoskie Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Thank you Frodoman for answering my questions! Very Happy I'd +1 your reputation but I don't know how sorry D:

Zoskie
Perthcraftian
Perthcraftian

Back to top Go down

Post  Zoskie Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Here's another question!!!

When people get banned does their record on /mc top get deleted? Or is it there forever?

Zoskie
Perthcraftian
Perthcraftian

Back to top Go down

Post  Frodomann1 Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Hmmm not totally sure about this, but I am pretty positive that it will stay there unless manually cleared by an admin.
Frodomann1
Frodomann1
Perthcraftian
Perthcraftian

Back to top Go down

Post  Zoskie Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 pm

Oh. Ok.

Zoskie
Perthcraftian
Perthcraftian

Back to top Go down

Post  PizzaCreeper101 Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Zoskie wrote:Here's another question!!!

When people get banned does their record on /mc top get deleted? Or is it there forever?

Their record is imposed on the board until the owners delete the .mcmmo file for the player.
PizzaCreeper101
PizzaCreeper101
Perthcraftian
Perthcraftian

http://thaltemer.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down